Friday, September 24, 2010

Geeking out, runner style

A few weeks back, my friends and I planned on meeting Friday morning for a run.  I have a girlfriend who has to work every now and then on the weekend and she would not be able to do the Saturday morning group run, so we decided to divide up her run and each do part of it with her so it wouldn't be so lonely.  Since I generally have to push a double jog stroller if I am running during the day, I opted for the last 5 (hoping and praying that she would be tired and I could go slow and maybe talk her into a few walk breaks -- what can I say?  That double jog stroller is a beast!).
I found them shortly after getting the kids all loaded up in the stroller with their toys and snacks. First thing they asked..... "Did you see Meb?" Now here's where the running geek stuff comes in to play. Meb can only mean one thing in the running world. Meb Keflezighi, 2004 Olympic Silver Medalist - Marathon, ING New York City Marathon Champion 2009, American Record Holder - 10K (27:13.98) and 20-Time National Champion. (http://www.runmeb.com/) WHAT???????  Meb and his family live in San Diego, so I shouldn't be so surprised, but I've lived here 8 years now and have never seen him. I was pretty bummed I missed him, so we set out to run the opposite way he was going in the hopes that our paths would cross.  Nope.... BUT.... he was at the end talking with some people. And we chatted with him a bit and got some photos of him.



Meb and his trainer


Ryle, me, Gray, Meb and my girl friend Gaby


Needless to say I was a happy running geek that day!

No comments:

Post a Comment