Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Lychee!!

When Mimi blogged about finding some Lychee at her Asian market the other day, I almost ran downstairs to my pantry in the middle of the night and opened up a can of Lychee (I may be exaggerating a little bit, I'm sure it was early evening....). I love Lychee. I've always had lychee growing up, but just seemed to forget about it for a while.  We had taken a vacation to Hawaii before I was pregnant with my first son and I had my first Lychee martini.... divine. And since we were trying to conceive, no boozing it up for me. I drank lychee juice with water and ice to satisfy my craving. And all during the pregnancy as well. Yum, yum, yum!

I also realized it had been a very long time since I headed out to my favorite Asian market.  And when I did get there.... I found.... LYCHEE!!!!!! (really not surprising since Mimi found it at her market). Of course some fresh lychee came home with me.



Lychee is a small, walnut sized fruit with a firm, bumpy exterior skin that hides white fleshy fruit similar to ....  maybe a less acidic pineapple? It's so light and summery. There's also a large brown pit in the middle to avoid, so don't bite down too hard.



I'm also going to add that it is very hard to type when there is a plate of lychee right next to me.  I'd peel one, eat the fruit, wash my hands, realize I wanted another one, peel, eat, wash.....you get the picture.  I finally decided that I'd be piggish and peel them all.... to eliminate sticky fingers of course. And they were yummy!

It was a pleasant snack, back to everything else that goes on here!  Happy gardening all!

No comments:

Post a Comment